Friday 10 July 2015

Dr Bronner's soap review

Recently started trying out some organic personal care products ever since my aunt introduced me to Dr Bronners castile soaps. She purchased a couple of bottles of the soap from the States and poured out some into a bottle for me to try, because she said she read that the soap could be used as shampoo and was good for oily and fine hair, which was exactly what I need. She said it did much good to her hair too, like how her hair feels thicker after using the product.

Thought aunt might just be exaggerating about how good this Dr Bronners soap is, but dear dear was I wrong.

After just one use, my hair felt thicker, more volumized and it didn't look as scattered as how my hair used to look after my usual baths. Mum used to say my hair looked like pork floss -.- And then, i realized this soap/shampoo works wonders.

Being curious, I went to Google Dr Bronners soap, and I read many reviews, which most of them were positive ones. These were a summary of what I've gathered about Dr Bronner's Fair Trade & Organic Castile Liquid Soap from people's reviews.:
  • Dries up acne
  • Softens skin
  • Removes oil from skin
  • Thick and lathers well
  • Multipurpose (yes it has 18 uses, I'll talk about them later)
  • Nice scent
Of course there were also some negative reviews which mostly talked about the breakouts they suffered from on initial use. However, I've read that breakouts are not uncommon upon first use because of the sudden change in product used. I've also read about how some of these people's breakouts started disappearing on further use...

Nevertheless, I shall describe my first experience using Dr Bronner's. So the soap my aunt gave me was lavender scented and I loved the fragrance because the smell was very aromatherapeutic.  It had this calming and "clean" scent. A little of it goes a long way. Yes, it foams really well. Just a little of it was enough for my whole head.

After rinsing, my hair felt very "squeaky". It felt the opposite of how your hair feels after applying conditioner. As a person with very fine and limpy hair, I liked this feeling. Perhaps long hair users might not like it because of the tangles it might cause. No worries, just do an apple cider vinegar rinse (raw apple cider vinegar diluted in distilled water) after shampooing, which acts as an organic conditioner, to neutralize the alkalinity of the shampoo/soap due to its acidic properties.

Do visit the following link for more information on apple cider vinegar rinse:
http://www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/wash-hair-with-apple-cider-vinegar/

After drying my hair, I could immediately feel that my hair had become thicker and fuller, and looked less like pork floss! I told myself I gotta buy this shampoo. I went online to see if Singapore has it and yes! Naturaworks.com.

This is the link to it:
http://www.naturaworks.com/

The website sells all the popular organic products that are high in demand. Besides Dr Bronners products, they also sell organic foodstuff like manuka honey and chia seeds, organic make-up products and aromatherapy oils.

So I made my order for Dr Bronners' liquid soap. These are the following scents available: lavender, peppermint, tea-tree, eucalyptus, and baby mild (unscented). I got 3 bottles: the lavender, tea-tree and eucalyptus scented ones. They come in 4 sizes: 237ml (SGD10.90), 473ml (SGD17.90), 946ml (SGD29.90) and 3.78litres (SGD105). I believe even the smallest size can last you a rather long time, let alone that 3.78 litres one... Besides the liquid form, it also comes in the soap bar form (SGD 7.90) so I got a peppermint one to try too, since there is free delivery for orders of SGD 80 and above, and it lathers and performs equally well (I've tested it out). I made my order on a Sunday night and received them on Tuesday noon.

The lavender bottle is not shown in here. The product at the bottom right of the picture is Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay which I'll review in time to come!

You know what's special about Dr Bronners soaps? They have 18 uses packed into them, with varying dilutions!
  1. Hair
  2. Body
  3. Face
  4. Teeth
  5. Shaving
  6. Bath
  7. Footbath
  8. Clear congestion
  9. Dishes (handwashing)
  10. Laundry
  11. Mopping
  12. All-purpose cleaning
  13. Windows
  14. Toilet
  15. Vegetables and fruits rinse
  16. Dogs
  17. Plant spray for bugs
  18. Ant spray
The dilution cheatsheet for the above 18 uses are listed in the following link:
http://www.lisabronner.com/dilutions-cheat-sheet-for-dr-bronners-castile-soap/

I mean, 18 uses in ONE single product! Well, you might be a little skeptical about this all-packed-into-one product, thinking why would you use your facial soap as floor detergent or share your shampoo with your pets, bugs and ants, but if Dr Bronners says it's alright, then it should not be a problem!

I've been using both the liquid and bar soaps for my face, hair and body and they have shortened my bath periods. I recommended this to my mum and she sang praises of it too, said how it made her hair (with split ends) look healthier. What's even better is my dogs skin is healing! Yoyo has had sensitive skin for the past couple of years, and despite visiting the vet, his skin was still sticky and smelly even after 2 days from his bath, but guess what. After using Dr Bronners, his skin condition is improving. His skin is no longer as sticky and he doesn't stink as much anymore, even the family says so. He's scratching less too, and I can't thank Dr Bronners enough! (no I'm not paid for this ad)

So in summary, I have been using Dr Bronners for more than a month. My face, hair and body have been good, and I love his soaps so much! No doubt dubbed as the "magic 18-in-one soap"!

No comments:

Post a Comment